Ying Yun (英云)
Thursday October 7 – Friday October 8 | 7:30pm
Choreographed for five female performers, artistic director Wen Wei Wang dedicates this new work to his late mother, Ying Yun, who had a significant influence on him becoming an artist. Wang engages the dancers to interpret her story, whilst sharing their own intersectional experiences.
The minimalist sound design, augmented by an electroacoustic score, turns the focus on the breathing of the dancers, allowing us to concentrate on their expression of the work’s subject, their power and energy.
Choreography – Wen Wei Wang in collaboration with the dancers
Performers – Stéphanie Cyr, Eowynn Enquist, Sarah Formosa, Daria Mikhaylyuk, and Eden Solomon
Sound, video, and lighting design – Chimerik似不像 Collective
Sound designer/electroacoustic music – Sammy Chien in collaboration with Wen Wei Wang and the dancers
Video designer – Sammy Chien
Lighting designer – Jonathan Kim
Design assistants – Andie Lloyd and Jill Shao
Costume designer – Linda Chow
No intermission | post-show talkback
Thank you to Joan Farlinger and Salt Spring Coffee for sponsoring these performances.
Special thanks to Made in BC Dance on Tour for supporting this presentation.
Photo: Emily Cooper
Read The Georgia Straight review by Janet Smith (February 2019)
ArtSpring terms and conditions of sale (2021-22 season)
• Proof of vaccination is required for every patron age 12+ attending an event. As of September 13 anyone attending an event will be required to show proof of at least one vaccination. Starting on October 24 the Public Health Order requires proof that those attending events have received two vaccinations at least seven days prior. Patrons age 19+ are also required to show a piece of valid government photo ID. Get your BC Vaccine Card here.
• Patrons must present a valid proof of vaccination each time they attend an event. Patrons unable to show proof will be denied entry, refunds will not be issued. Vaccination records will not be kept on file by ArtSpring.
• Face masks are mandatory at all times. Masks are available but please try to bring your own.
• Tickets are sold as Reserved Seating, with a capacity determined by the public health order in place at the time of the event.
• Advance ticket sales only. There is no pre-show sales service. Tickets purchased online and by phone can be picked up at the entry door.
• Enter the theatre at the back doors, from the lower parking lot (McPhillips Ave). The upper parking lot will be closed and front entrance will be closed.
• Arrive between 6:30-7:15pm (for a 7:30pm event) and 1:30-2:15pm (for a 2:30pm event).
• Doors close five minutes before performance time – strictly no late admittance.
• Follow floor markings and all signage present at ArtSpring.
• Hand sanitizer will be provided.
• Washrooms are open.
• Maintain a comfortable distance from patrons who are not in your party when moving through the building.
• Performances are 75-90 minutes, plus introduction, from September-December 2021. We anticipate longer events from January 2022.
• There is no intermission and no concession service from September-December 2021. We anticipate intermissions and concessions from January 2022.
• Please do not attend the performance: if you or anyone from your party feel unwell; if you have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days; if you or anyone you have come in contact with has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days. If you are unable to attend for health reasons please contact the ArtSpring box office for a refund.
• If you are unable to abide by these policies please refrain from attending. Any patrons not following BC Health regulations or ArtSpring policies will be asked to leave.