Finding the Mother Tree
Suzanne Simard is professor of Forest Ecology, Department of Forest and Conservation sciences, Faculty of Forestry at UBC.
Dr Simard works primarily in forests, but also grasslands, wetlands, tundra and alpine ecosystems. She is particularly known for her work on below ground networks that connect the creatures of the forest, and how these are fundamental to the complex adaptive nature of ecosystems. She strives to communicate this research so that it is understandable and usable to all people. To that end, she is dedicated to empowering people with science-based knowledge and tools to manage and heal the land from human impacts including climate change.
Her recent book Finding the Mother Tree: Discovering the Wisdom of the Forest has received glowing reviews and has caught the public’s imagination worldwide.
The Salt Spring Forum is delighted to welcome her for what should be a fascinating discussion.
A fundraiser for the Salt Spring Island Conservancy.
ArtSpring terms and conditions of sale (2021-22 season)
• Proof of vaccination is required for every patron age 12+ attending an event. As of September 13 anyone attending an event will be required to show proof of at least one vaccination. Starting on October 24 the Public Health Order requires proof that those attending events have received two vaccinations at least seven days prior. Patrons age 19+ are also required to show a piece of valid government photo ID. Get your BC Vaccine Card here.
• Patrons must present a valid proof of vaccination each time they attend an event. Patrons unable to show proof will be denied entry, refunds will not be issued. Vaccination records will not be kept on file by ArtSpring.
• Face masks are mandatory at all times. Masks are available but please try to bring your own.
• Tickets are sold as Reserved Seating, with a capacity determined by the public health order in place at the time of the event.
• Advance ticket sales only. There is no pre-show sales service. Tickets purchased online and by phone can be picked up at the entry door.
• Enter the theatre at the back doors, from the lower parking lot (McPhillips Ave). The upper parking lot will be closed and front entrance will be closed.
• Arrive between 6:30-7:15pm (for a 7:30pm event) and 1:30-2:15pm (for a 2:30pm event).
• Doors close five minutes before performance time – strictly no late admittance.
• Follow floor markings and all signage present at ArtSpring.
• Hand sanitizer will be provided.
• Washrooms are open.
• Maintain a comfortable distance from patrons who are not in your party when moving through the building.
• Performances are 75-90 minutes, plus introduction, from September-December 2021. We anticipate longer events from January 2022.
• There is no intermission and no concession service from September-December 2021. We anticipate intermissions and concessions from January 2022.
• Please do not attend the performance: if you or anyone from your party feel unwell; if you have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days; if you or anyone you have come in contact with has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days. If you are unable to attend for health reasons please contact the ArtSpring box office for a refund.
• If you are unable to abide by these policies please refrain from attending. Any patrons not following BC Health regulations or ArtSpring policies will be asked to leave.