Wednesday May 25 | 5pm
All abilities | 9-90 years
FluxDelux is a no-experience-required participatory performance event for people from ages 9 – 90+. Participants on their feet or using a wheelchair or any other mobility device share in the creation of a spontaneous choreography guided by a tailor-made web app.
Movement scores created by choreographers Peggy Baker, Jera Wolfe and Jaz Fairy J provide a simple set of guidelines for people to follow and interpret in their own unique way. With a variety of scores in motion at any given moment; the work is open, multi-layered, ever-evolving and constantly recalibrating. Throughout FluxDelux, participants navigate new and creative physical experiences that explore how we can all share space, hold space, and make space together. A gloriously eventful collective choreography arises through surprising, poetic, and empathetic encounters with others within the imperative of social distancing.
FluxDelux marries contemporary dance with cutting-edge new media technology designed by creative technologist Jacob Niedzwiecki.
Movement instructions are delivered through earphones using our audio file OR a simple set of posted instructions. Anyone can join in.
FluxDelux was originally created with Tangled Art + Disability and students from Rosedale Heights School of the Arts.
Frequently Asked Questions
– How long will it take?
The timing for FluxDelux is flexible. The work is a durational work lasting between 90 minutes to 3 hours.
– What do participants need?
Your smartphone, your headphones, and a sense of adventure! For participants without a device, scores can be posted around the space to provide guidelines for taking part.
– What age group is this for?
FluxDelux is recommended for anyone 9 – 90+ years. Canes, strollers, walkers and wheelchairs are all welcomed.
– What do I do with my bags?
You will have to check any large bags, but you can easily wear a small bag or purse while dancing.
– I’m not very tech savvy. Can you help me?
If tech help is needed we’ll do our best to assist, but social distancing measures will be respected and we will not touch or handle any devices. However please keep in mind, you can participate without using your phone at all.
Photo: Aleksandar Antonijevic
You might also like: Peggy Baker Dance Projects unmoored | Thursday May 26 7:30pm
ArtSpring terms and conditions of sale
• Face masks are required by ArtSpring at all times for everyone age 5+ until May 31 2022. Masks are available but please try to bring your own.
• Tickets are sold as reserved seating, at 100% capacity.
• Pre-show box office opens one hour before showtime, for ticket pick-up, and sales for that event only.
• Doors close five minutes before performance time – strictly no late admittance.
• Follow all health and safety signage present at ArtSpring.
• Hand sanitizer will be provided.
• Maintain a comfortable distance from patrons who are not in your party when moving through the building.
• Performances may include a short intermission.
• There is no concession service at any event until our mask requirement is lifted.
• Artist merchandise, if available, can be purchased in the lobby. Cash sales only.
• Please do not attend the performance: if you or anyone from your party feel unwell; if you or anyone you have come in contact with has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days. If you are unable to attend for health reasons please contact the ArtSpring box office for a refund.
• If you are unable to abide by these policies please refrain from attending. Any patrons not following BC Health regulations or ArtSpring policies will be asked to leave.