Spirit and Tradition
Wednesday March 23 | 7:30pm
Spirit and Tradition’s key themes are reciprocity and ecological sustainability, conveying important cultural teachings on balance, interconnectedness, and community. Through the sharing of Indigenous knowledge and artistic practices of the Northwest Coast, Spirit and Tradition layers Coastal masked dances, projected imagery, soundscape, and LED puppetry. The audience is immersed into the rich and diverse ecosystem of the coastal mountains and oceans.
Suitable for all ages.
Spirit and Tradition (2010) was commissioned by Centennial Theatre in North Vancouver.
Choreographer – Margaret Grenier
Gitxsan translations – Elder Betsy Lomax
Production manager – Andrew Grenier
Collaborating composer – Ted Hamilton
60 minutes | post-show talkback facilitated by Aina Yasué.
Thank you to Joan Farlinger and Salt Spring Coffee for sponsoring this performance.
Photo: Chris Randle
ArtSpring terms and conditions of sale (2021-22 season)
• As per the Public Health Order, proof of vaccination is required for every patron age 12+ attending an event. Until April 8 2022 anyone age 13+ attending an event will be required to show proof of two vaccinations at least seven days prior. 12 year olds only need to show proof of one dose of vaccine. Please ensure everyone in your party is aware of these requirements. Patrons age 19+ are also required to show a piece of valid government photo ID. Get your BC Vaccine Card here.
• Patrons must present a valid proof of vaccination each time they attend an event. Patrons unable to show proof will be denied entry, refunds will not be issued. Vaccination records will not be kept on file by ArtSpring.
• Face masks are required by ArtSpring at all times for everyone age 5+. Masks are available but please try to bring your own.
• Tickets are sold as Reserved Seating. Capacity restrictions for all ArtSpring Presents events will be lifted from February 17, 2022. Some rental clients may choose to remain at 50% capacity.
• Enter the theatre at the back doors, from the lower parking lot (McPhillips Ave). No entry via the front door.
• The upper parking lot will be closed.
• To allow time for the check-in process doors will open one hour before showtime. Please arrive no later than 15 minutes before showtime.
• Pre-show box office opens one hour before showtime.
• Doors close five minutes before performance time – strictly no late admittance.
• Follow all signage present at ArtSpring.
• Hand sanitizer will be provided.
• Washrooms are open.
• Maintain a comfortable distance from patrons who are not in your party when moving through the building.
• Performances may include a limited ‘bathroom break’ intermission.
• There is no concession service at any event until our mask requirement is lifted.
• Artist merchandise, if available, can be purchased in the lobby. Cash sales only.
• Please do not attend the performance: if you or anyone from your party feel unwell; if you or anyone you have come in contact with has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days. If you are unable to attend for health reasons please contact the ArtSpring box office for a refund.
• If you are unable to abide by these policies please refrain from attending. Any patrons not following BC Health regulations or ArtSpring policies will be asked to leave.